Thursday, January 5, 2012

Knock, Knock

I don't think I like the color change for the embedded commentary. I think I'll stick to brackets.  Less interruption to the flow--less chaotic look.

Here is the balance of July:

July 29, 2002
We're home from camp.  Only have time to record a few verses that jump out at me and why they did so as I read today:

If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.  Philemon 18...as Christ speaks to me about someone I can't trust.
**Accepting someone's help is as good as giving someone help.  The Message 10:40 or 41...this one sadly is not in my operating philosophy at all! [I had put a big star beside this one...showed it with asterisks here.]
If you're content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty.  Matthew 23:? 
[Quoting from The Message is tough as verses aren't numbered.  Re-reading my stumbling attempt to cite scripture sources made me chuckle.]

July 30
Last night we had a task force meeting about the new contemporary service at church.  I offered a book to a friend with a passage about the Canaanite woman--which is the topic for her lay Sunday sermon.  As I opened it to find the passage about the woman, my eye fell on this scripture quote:  Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and sup with him and he with me.  Rev. 3:20
This was the verse that came to my mind when Scott [my husband] made reference to knocking during prayer and share time [an element of church camp evenings.]  He stated that we do the knocking.  I bit my tongue and did not "correct" him, I am learning to be less contradictory--I hope--as I age. 
Later, when I had time, I actually found HIS verse.  [one of many occasions in life wherein I was happy I hadn't "corrected" someone who was not actually wrong, but who was just thinking along a different wavelength from me.]  Right now I can't find it again, but it contains the phrase "Seek and ye shall find; knock and the door shall be opened to you..."  So we have two references to knocking.  One in Revelation has Christ knocking, the other from the Gospels I think, has us knocking.  Again, a reminder that we can't be couch-potato Christians.  We have to be Christ's climbing companions.  We must demonstrate our side of the relationship.

As I look back over the conclusions I drew then, I can see my field of vision has broadened.  Back then, my "obvious" conclusion to take from that fledgling realization of this mutual knocking idea was:  I had better do my part!  Today, I am much more interested in the balance of these references and what they have to say in tandem.  Back then, the Revelation verse was in my mind, on the tip of my tongue, even ready for use in an arsenal of "verse knowledge" but  ironically was woefully unavailable to me in most ways that benefit life. 
What do I see now when I compare these verses?  When I knock, I have the reassurance that I will get a response.  But when he knocks--if I will open, I will be nourished.  More remarkably, he will be nourished--in companionship with me.  That to me now seems huge!  And ten years ago, it was invisible.
Remarkable.

4 comments:

  1. I have been teaching Berry from Little Pilgrim's Progress, there are parts of it that I have to really break down for her. The little pilgrims were to go to the wicket gate and knock and the door was opened to them, they were welcomed into salvation and changed along the journey. What I find interesting is that they were also changed before going to the wicket gate. God was working on them before they ever chose to follow the path. Along the way they encounter danger and those who would distract them from their path and those who help them and give them rest. Through out the book though, when they come to a door, they are always doing the knocking, but before they decided to follow it was God who was sending people to knock at their doors and hearts. I hope that makes since as to why this post touched my that way. Another blessing from your journal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I rushed right through without even pausing to extrapolate how that knocking might happen--and how it might be happening now. This will occupy some space in my current prayer journal, I think. Thank you for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This one prompts so many thoughts in so many different areas of life for me right now. The part that resonates the most is the verse regarding being yourself and your life counting for plenty. I do want my life to count... I struggle with whether or not it really does on any meaningful level... I struggle with what my place, what my part is in life... What difference does my life really make in the various arenas? Would it really matter if I was a part or not?

    And water for my soul was found in the thoughts about me receiving nourishment for my soul when He comes knocking and I respond with an open door. Thank you!

    It has occured to me that I have previous blog entries that correspond with both today's entry and yesterday's entry. Makes me think I should go back and look at what I wrote and where my heart was and see how they may or may not line up and what God may be wanting me to discover or rediscover for today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, the whole platitude that "it's a journey" sometimes makes me want to spew, but on the other hand...it's a journey after all. (grin)

    ReplyDelete