Monday, January 16, 2012

Bigger Than a Breadbox

What do these things have in common?
  • a metal ice cube tray with handle
  • a hand beater
  • a stove-top percolator
  • a flour sifter
  • a dough cutter
  • a bread box
Answer:  former kitchen "necessities" that are now utterly absent from many kitchens.

I've been meditating on this bread theme.  I'm studying this idea of "receiving" bread, and it is serving as yet another bridge between old-journal me and new-journal me.  I'm even on a bread fast as I seek further revelation about what this all says to me now.  And...I'm reading more of what it said to me then.

November 28, 2002

I have felt God's call in a poetic way this Thanksgiving morning.  I'm up alone, preparing the turkey.  The baby's just waking, but I wanted to get this down.  I just read in my morning devotions about the idea of being "broken bread and poured out wine" for the sake of other people.  So much imagery comes to my mind with that.  How might I be someone else's communion on Your behalf, Lord? 


When I put together that list of  lost kitchen wares from above (mined from the soil of the blog link below--along with the photo) and the idea of being the bread, when I allow these to overlay the thoughts of being the server vs. the chef from a previous post it feels like moving into a deeper place in the temple...from a portico to a holy place.  I feel a shift coming--a shift of my gaze from a past full of things that preoccupy my self-image to a less cluttered  view, a self image that has room to stretch and breathe.  For the past to have an appropriate "place" in the present, it should be hidden within the covenant ark of my heart for a law and a testimony but not for clutter that depresses me and not to simpy make a museum display of the archaic.  This is wasteful for a short-lived soul like mine.
Case in point:  one last thing from that rarely-seen-in-today's-kitchen list...pie birds.  They're purty, but I don't have a clue as to their function.    I figure their open mouths and tented bases point to some sort of purpose, but I have no idea what it is.



http://networkedblogs.com/sKuIH

However, if I find a pic of said bird in action, living according to its purpose--
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/106/307914409_d71f165535.jpg
Context is everything...
"Give us this day our daily bread..."
Keep me present tense, O God.
To Thy glory...

2 comments:

  1. My mama used pie birds and when she was making a pie she would always say that little "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" poem while she was putting the bird in the center. It would sing when the steam was steadily coming from filling, especially when the pie was cherry. Your post brought back that memory, but it also spoke to me of the past that I have allowed to become clutter that chokes me at times. God is healing it more and more each day and I am so thankful! He's using all of my bloggy friends to help heal my pieced together heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sings!?! How cool is that! Joann, you make me really want one of those pie birds now!

    ReplyDelete