Tuesday, January 31, 2012

FInding a Measure of Life's Renaissance

Today as I celebrate my own birthday, I read about the day of my father's birthday years ago.
June 12, 2003
Today is my dad's birthday.  I must remember to call him.  E [middle son] found a video of our family that I haven't seen for a long time.  It has Mom in it.  I sure miss her.[Mom died of cancer in 1995.]  Can't wait to see her again in heaven. 

Lately, I've been reading a book called Desperate for You.  It is a 30-day worship adventure.  Plus, I'm working on my Ministry Inquiry Binder.  Hope to begin my sessions soon with Pastor Mike to see whether the deaconess ministry might even yet have a chance to get rolling.

I spent some time meditating on the front porch as it rained this morning at about 5 am.  I realized that a rainy dawn progresses a lot like my faith and my awareness of You seems to here lately:

The Dawning of Realization
Sometimes does not come
as a sudden piercing beam of morning light.
Rather,
like a rainy morning.
The stillness of night broken
by a spattering of quiet noise
swelling until it is bullets on the pavement
unseen, yet observed.
At first, deniable;
later, unavoidable
as channels gurgle in the gutters.
Such a dawn does not burst with color.
By nature
It creeps...
a hint of sheen
to kiss a wet sidewalk.
Flowers take shape, then trees.
Definition, contrast
are gradual things
Coming to foreshadow colors
of a day that hopes to be.
I think this might be the first poetic entry into this journal review-- life did not lend lend itself to poetry much in those days, that came later. The accompanying photo came later, too.    Funny, just this morning, I saw sunlight overflow the lip of a cloud like this, felt myself called to notice the loveliness of it.

Sunlight that clouds dare not block.  Hope that overreaches the slow dawn of that late spring morning years ago.  I'll take that for a birthday gift from Thee, my Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment